A Step-by-Step Guide on Protecting Yourself After a Houston Auto Accident
Being involved in a car crash is scary. In the immediate aftermath, you may not know what to do or where to turn. In order to protect your rights and your chances of recovering losses, you need to act fast.
Make sure to always get medical help first. After a car accident, you may be in shock. Your body may not be aware of the full impact of the collision, and you may have injuries that are not immediately apparent. Getting assistance at the scene will ensure that you receive adequate medical care as soon as possible.
Steps to Take After a Car Accident
After getting in a car accident, you should do the following:
- Call 911. If you or someone else is injured in an auto accident, the first thing you want to do is call law enforcement. They will be able to dispatch for emergency medical help. As soon as officers arrive on the scene, they will begin doing an assessment.
- Get to safety. If you are able, try to move to the side of the road. Collisions that happen in the middle of the road or on busy highways can pose an additional risk to other drivers and yourself. If you can move your vehicle, get to safety on the side of the road.
- Never leave the scene. If you are involved in an accident, you must exchange information with the other involved parties. Law enforcement will help facilitate this if they are called. Under Texas Transportation Code § 550.062, law enforcement is required to fill out a crash report for any motor vehicle crash that results in injury or death or damage of more than $1000.
- Do not make unnecessary statements. It is not your job to determine who was liable for the accident, and you should not admit responsibility. Limit your conversation with other parties and witnesses to just the exchange of information.
- Take notes. As quickly as you are able to, make notes about what happened before, during, and after the auto accident. Memories fade quickly. It is essential to write down or record your observations as soon after the incident as possible so that you have the most accurate portrayal of what occurred. Take pictures at the scene, if possible. Note road conditions, weather, and the flow of traffic.
- Obtain a copy of the crash report. You should always obtain a copy of the report prepared by law enforcement regarding the incident. While an independent investigation by a knowledgeable car accident lawyer is still vital to the success of your case, the report may be helpful.
- Continue medical treatment. If you were injured in a Houston auto accident, you need to seek medical treatment as soon as possible. You should go to all follow-up appointments and keep track of any out-of-pocket expenses. In some cases, a medical provider may recommend continued treatment, such as physical therapy. Make sure that you follow the recommendations of your doctor and provide copies of your treatments and expenses to an attorney to review.
- Contact an experienced personal injury attorney. You should never settle a Houston car accident case prior to consulting with a leading personal injury lawyer. An insurance company will try to get you to settle quickly for the least amount of money possible. The first settlement offer rarely takes into account the full scope of damages, including medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
Hire an Experienced Accident and Injury Lawyer
If you were injured in a Houston car accident, you need experience you can count on. You need an accident and injury attorney who will fight hard to get you the compensation you deserve. You should not have to settle for less than your case is worth. At the Law Office of Roy A. Boujaoude, our attorneys will conduct an independent investigation of your case and will assist you in preserving all of the evidence to get you the most money available for your claim. Contact our offices today at 713-804-6560 for a free case consultation.