Bicycle accidents are surprising and might leave you feeling confused and upset. The steps that you take after a bicycle accident in Houston, Texas, can improve your ability to heal and recover from the ordeal.
You’ll feel violated, perhaps angry, and certainly frustrated following a bike accident where someone else is at fault. And if you sustain injuries, the ordeal could be life-altering. If you’re a regular biker, learn these steps you should take after a bicycle accident.
Next steps after a bicycle accident in Houston, Texas
Learn the six essential steps you should take following a Houston, Texas, bicycle accident.
- Pause for a moment to evaluate your injuries. Following an accident, adrenaline will flood your bloodstream to help you deal with the situation. But once that adrenaline wears off, you’ll start to feel the full effects of the injury. Take a few deep breaths to help your body slow down from the adrenaline as you think about any possible injuries.
- Call 911 and get a medical evaluation if you suspect you may be seriously injured. If you’re severely injured, be sure to tell the dispatch team to rush the ambulance there. Injuries from bicycle accidents can be severe as there’s not much to protect you.
- If you’re well enough to do so, gather information. Get the at-fault party’s driver’s license information and collect any witness accounts. Even if law enforcement does this for you, try to get the information yourself. Access to the police report might take some time or be missing details that are helpful for your case.
- Hang onto your bike that was in the accident. Your bike holds invaluable evidence in your case. Your legal team can use the bike to prove what happened during the accident and who was at fault. Additionally, if you have any data from a fitness device or app that was running during your ride, keep that information. It might also be helpful.
- Avoid talking to the insurance company until you have legal representation. Be careful what you say to the insurance company if you must speak to them before you find an attorney. Do not say that you feel fine and have no injuries, no matter what you believe at the moment. Late-onset injuries are very common in traumatic events like this.
- Hire a Houston, Texas, bicycle accident attorney. Your attorney will work with you to complete a thorough investigation into the accident. Without an attorney, you might struggle to get the restitution you deserve.
About the Law Office of Roy A. Boujaoude
After nearly 15 years in business, we’re prepared to handle any Houston, Texas, personal injury case. You’ll work directly with our owner, Roy, in building your defense. Our years of experience and free consultation will be an asset to your case. We’ll ensure you recover from your bicycle accident both physically and financially.