Does the Jones Act Cover On-Shore Accidents?

Written by: Roy Boujaoude

Your Right to Compensation If You Are a Maritime Worker Injured on Land 

Many maritime workers wonder whether their injuries will be covered if they occurred while they were on land. Under certain circumstances, the Jones Act covers on-shore accidents. In other cases, a maritime worker may be able to bring a claim under the Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act or another law.

At the Law Office of Roy A. Boujaoude, P.C., we represent individuals who have been injured in maritime accidents throughout Houston. Our experienced legal team is well-versed in handling even the most complex cases. If you were injured onshore or while at sea, contact our office at (713) 690-2277 to schedule a free consultation. 

Does the Jones Act Cover Injuries that Occur on Land?

The Jones Act is a federal law that allows seamen who are injured within the course of their work to file a claim against their employer. The Jones Act is limited in scope only applying to certain maritime workers and specific vessels. 

A seaman is someone who works on a vessel. In order to qualify under the Jones Act, however, they must contribute to the vessel’s mission and must spend at least 30% of their time on the vessel or a fleet of vessels.

Additionally, the vessel must be “in navigation” to qualify under the Act. “In navigation” means that the vessel is operational, floating, and capable of moving. A vessel may be docked and still be considered “in navigation,” but it cannot be drydocked or out of the water. Therefore, any injuries to a qualified seaman that occur within their course of work are likely covered by the Jones Act.

Are On-Shore Accidents Covered by Other Maritime Laws?

Maritime workers include a wide range of employees beyond seamen. Many maritime workers are land-based, working as ship-builders, longshoremen, and repairmen. 

Land-based maritime workers who are injured on the job may be able to file a claim against their employer through the Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act or other laws. 

How to Determine Your Legal Options

If you were injured in a maritime accident, you might be entitled to compensation. Depending on your employment status, you may be able to file a claim under federal law such as the Jones Act or the Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act. 

To determine the correct legal process you need to consult with an attorney. A maritime accident lawyer can help you understand your rights and will fight to ensure you receive the recovery you deserve. It is important to act quickly as you only have a limited amount of time to file a claim for damages. Injuries are often related to slip and fall accidents, the unseaworthiness of a vessel, and lift accidents. 

Injured in an On-Shore Maritime Accident? Contact Our Office.

If you were injured in a maritime accident, contact our office at (713) 690-2277 to schedule a free consultation. All matters are handled on a contingency fee basis, meaning there are no fees unless we win. 

Call our office today to speak directly with an experienced lawyer about your accident. We will provide you with the tailored legal representation you deserve. All case evaluations are provided at no cost and without obligation to retain our services. 

Share This Story

Interested in this topic? Your friends might be too! Consider sharing this story to your social media channels and look like a smart, sophisticated resource of information.

Call or Contact Us Online Today!

No matter what the circumstances of your case, Attorney Roy Boujaoude can help. Contact our office today at (713) 690-2277 for a free case consultation. Our team is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
This will be replaced with an open contact form
uploadmagnifiercrossmenu linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram